New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has died on Saturday. He was admitted to AIIMS based in Delhi from 9 August. He breathed his last on Sunday afternoon at 12.07 minutes. Former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was admitted to AIIMS in Delhi on August 9 after complaining of breathlessness and discomfort.
Health was continuously falling for the last few months
Recently, Arun Jaitley was placed on Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) and Intra Aerotic Balloon (IABP) support. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s health has been falling continuously in the last few months. Due to ill health, he did not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and wrote a letter to PM Modi not to include himself in the Modi cabinet-2.
This is how Arun Jaitley’s student life
- Arun Jaitley studied from New Delhi St. Xavier’s School from 1957-69.
- After this, he completed his graduation from Shri Ram College of Commerce and obtained a law degree from DU in 1977.
- During his studies, Jaitley received many accolades for his outstanding performance in academic and extra-curricular activities.
- He became the President of DU Student Union in 1974 while studying at DU.
- Jaitley has also served as a senior advocate in the Supreme Court.
Student politics started in 1974
- Arun Jaitley joined the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) while studying at the Delhi University Campus and became the President of the Student Union in 1974.
- During the Emergency (1975–1977), Jaitley also had to spend 19 months in jail under MISA.
- He was also one of the prominent leaders in the anti-corruption mass movement run by Raj Narayan and Jayaprakash Narayan.
- Jai Prakash Narayan appointed him the convener of the National Students and Youth Organization Committee.
- He was also active in the civil rights movement and started the People’s Union of Civil Liberties Bulletin with Satish Jha and Smita Kothari.
- After his release from jail, he joined the Jana Sangh.